Charissa
Northland Public Library has become my dearest friend, along with its Astronomy/Science section... naturally, I geek'd out when I saw it and went a little crazy.

Here's a few things that I've picked up recently:

Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution- Neil DeGrasse Tyson. DUH, of COURSE I'd pick up a book with my idol's name on it. I've yet to start it, but I can't wait... especially after reading another one of his books (Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries, generously given to me by my father the Christmas before last). It was SUPER entertaining, and his essays are written so that even I understand what he's saying.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy, 4th Edition- Christopher De Pree. As the title clearly states, it's written for me. I'm a few chapters in, and it's really great supplemental info. A lot I already know from previous Astronomy courses, but there's also a lot of new information that is really interesting.

Stars & Planets field guide- Ian Ridpath and Wil Tirion. I'll probably end up buying this sometime soon. It's got great descriptions and definitions of types of stars, planets, and deep space objects. It also has wonderfully detailed colored sky maps and Hubble pics.

God's Equation: Einstein, Relativity, and the Expanding Universe- Amir D. Aczel. Just got this one tonight, but it addresses some really interesting issues that I've always been curious about. Mostly how God fits in with the whole theory of Cosmology... something I've always wanted to talk with my dad about, but unfortunately never had the chance.


So, yeah... can't wait to get my nose into these completely. I'm pretty sure I'll be up there later this week and see what else I can get... I'll probably have the entire astronomy section borrowed. I just wish I had the same dedication to my actual school classes.
0 Responses